Friday, August 28, 2009

In the beginning


In the beginning there was pain, and there was much unhappiness...

This blog is to chart my progress through Frozen Shoulder, aka Adhesive Capsulitis.

I see there's another blogger who started one of these, but unfortunately didn't continue. We'll see if I do. Along the way I'm going to tell you about the various treatments and other information I uncover.

It all began a couple of days before my motorbike trip to central Australia, into some of the most amazing remote desert regions. On my lunchtime walk I picked up a sponge ball, and when I got back to the office I flung it over the partition to Bim.

It hurt straight away, and I knew I'd done some damage. Just before a very physically demanding motorbike trip. Good timing!

As it happened, I was able to do the trip without much impediment from the injury. The only time I noticed it was when I went to pick up a bike after our many prangs. I also recall starting to swim across the Diamentina River, and realising I couldn't properly swing my arm over my head.

Then when I returned I tried to fix my arm by exercising with light weights. Bad news; I wish I hadn't because all that happened was that it triggered the onset of Frozen Shoulder.

Postscript: I now know the damage was to my rotator cuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback welcome.