Sunday, August 30, 2009

Pulling myself out of a hole

My first 2 or 3 weeks of treatment was with conventional physiotherapy. At this stage (Initial as I described it earlier) I think it was early days, and the Frozen Shoulder was only just begining. I knew something was not right. Lifting my arm was becoming more and more painful, and the range of movement greatly diminishing.

Graeme, my physio could see what was happening. He had me doing simple exercises to try loosening the joint. I'd lie on my back, and raise my right arm from my side up, and over my head (or at least as far as I could). To guide and support my right arm, I'd hold a short rod in both hands, and swing the arms together.

He also showed me a simple pulley device, which I them copied at home. I jam the strap in the top of a door, then use my good left arm to hoist my dud right arm into the air.

I do this several times a day, and I each time I can feel how much it loosens the joint.

More on this to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback welcome.